Cycling Safely

Yesterday when I came to class I remembered that cycling was starting today. When the instructors came they introduced themselves as Kyla and Kate. They work for Auckland Transport and Bigfoot Adventures, which goes to schools and makes sure children learn how to cycle safely.

First we had a clothes check. We need to wear bright clothes so drivers can see us when we are cycling on the road .

Next we went outside and we wore our gear to get ready to ride the bikes. Before we started riding, Kyla asked us if we were feeling confident or not. The ones who weren’t confident went  with Kate but the confident people stayed with Kyla.

When we went with Kyla she said to remember the tests for checking the bikes: the air, brakes, quick drop, and quick release. Some people remembered it and some people didn’t so they asked the people who remembered. The first thing that we did with our bikes was practicing our hand signals like stop signs and turn signs. After that we all came in and started talking about the rules because we kept on breaking them!.

So when we finished the lesson we played a quick game. It is called ‘buddy up’ but then we had to say good bye. I really had fun today and learned a lot about keeping safe whilst cycling. At the beginning of the day, I felt a bit nervous because I had only ridden on a small bike. I managed to get my balance and ride well on the big school bikes.